09 December 2005

Of Snow Boots and Cavecicles

Haven't brought out the Frisbee yet, but this afternoon, Isaac, JR, and I bushwhacked up the mountain to the caves. Wish I had my snow boots with me, to make a better seal of my ski pant elastics around my ankles, but I left them home due to weight concerns. However, my double-layered crew socks kept the snow from seeping down around my feet well enough.

Lisa had measured the snow this morning and confirmed it a full foot deep, as forecast for the Litchfield Hills, which we're among. So, the hike up through untouched white stuff was more fun because while we couldn't see the rocks and logs except to notice where the snow piled higher, the snow is soft and not bad for falling into, even with a harder surface below so much of it.

When we got up to the caves, an area whose adjacent terrain I recognized from my last trip up there a month ago, we were greeted by some enormous icicles, some even joining rocks or running from ceiling to floor. Isaac snagged some good photos I'll add to my collection.

Soon, he and JR headed up a ways and I stayed behind to take a rest between two boulders where last time I'd found a possibly good napping place. Didn't go in then because it was wet, but today it was dry. I removed a few small icicles in my way, careful not to disturb the bigger, prettier ones, and cautiously climbed in. Turned out the rocks were closer than I'd thought and I couldn't straighten my head between them; had to keep it sideways. I was also quick to remove my glasses, lest they get more scratched.

We chatted a bit on radio about our intentions and I decided to lie there for about 15 minutes, one of the larger icicles hanging not six inches from my nose. Then, I carefully got myself down and headed up. Met I & J at the top and I and I took turns leading the way down any which way we chose to go. Had some fun slides along the way and at one point spied the Freedman lake, which was quite tough to distinguish except as a space of open whiteness between the mountains. Soon enough, we got down far enough to recognize where we'd ended up, quite close to our starting point.

Now, having snacked, folks are pondering about praying and getting ready for dinner. I think I'll go join them again in the ponderment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home